The advantage of these is that they are well documented in RFCs. With some knowledge about how sockets and their API work, implementation was straightforward. Special about RTSP/RTP is, that there is one RTSP connection (usually TCP port 554) which acts like a remote control, while the actual A/V data are delivered over RTP, which usually uses UDP. To make things more complicated, each stream is transported over an own UDP socket, with another socket used for Qos infos. Playing a normal movie with audio and video needs 4 UDP sockets then.
The basic functions were implemented, I opened 4 UDP ports on my DSL-Router and I could play movies :)
Then I stumbled across something strange:
- My code worked completely predictable regarding the router configuration. When I closed the ports on the router (or changed the ports in my code), it stopped working
- Both ffmpeg and vlc (which, like MPlayer, uses live555 for RTSP) always work in UDP mode, no need to manually open the UDP ports. Somehow they make my router forward the incoming RTP packets to my machine.
After spending some time with wireshark and strace I made sure, that I setup my sockets the same way as the other applications, and the RTSP requests are the same. When gmerlin-avdecoder still didn't make it through the NAT (and me almost freaking out) I decided to take a look at some TCP packets, which were marked with the string
"TCP segment of a reassembled PDU". I noticed that these occur only in the wireshark dump of gmerlin-avdecoder, not in the others.
After googling a bit, the mystery was solved:
- The Router (which was found to be a MIPS-based Linux box) recognizes the RTSP protocol. By parsing the
client_portfield of the
SETUPrequest it knows which UDP ports it must open and forward to the client machine.
- The "TCP segment of a reassembled PDU" packets are small pieces belonging to one larger RTSP request.
- If the
SETUPline is not in the same TCP packet as the line which defines the transport, the recognition by the router will fail.
- Wireshark fooled me by assembling the packets belonging to the same request into a larger one and displaying it together with the pieces (this feature can be turned off in the wireshark TCP configuration).
- The fix was simple: I write the whole request into one string, and send this string at once. Finally the router automagically sends the RTP packets to gmerlin-avdecoder.
You might think that it's actually no problem to open UDP ports on the router, and doing such things manually is better than automatically. But then you'll have many people running their clients with the same UDP ports, which makes attacks easier for the case that gmerlin-avdecoder has a security hole. Much better is to choose the ports randomly. Then, we can also have multiple clients in the same machine. The live555 library uses random ports, ffmpeg doesn't.